Project #38: Flower Press DIY

I have been pressing flowers and leaves for two over decades now, meaning I've been doing it as early as I was a kid. Carefully preserving the color and fragrance of wildflowers within the pages of my mother's bedside copy of Bailey and Love textbook of surgical procedures is one of the most vivid memories of my childhood. Later when I was in graduate school, my sister got me an actual flower press (which I still use) when I visited her in Durham, North Carolina (this was my first trip to the US). I remember walking along the aisles of Morgan Imports being mesmerized by all the colors and in awe of the sheer variety of crafting materials available to mankind. I would later learn that there are multiple crafting chains with even bigger storefronts (Some with highly questionable ethics). 

Anyway, recently a friend and artist asked me if I made the flower press myself. I laughed it off at the time, but I knew I was capable of such time-stretching activities. So when I had a work deadline, my mind was drawn towards making my own flower press, not one but four, one for each my nieces/nephews. I even went to the extent of personalizing each press by pyrographing (wood-burning) their names on it. 

Here is the step-by-step: 

Step 1: Gather Supplies
Things you will need 
- Precut wooden squares (8x8 inch) 
- Cardboard (from Amazon packages) 
- Paper (just regular ones)
- Drill
- Scissors
- Measuring scale and pencil

Step 2: Drill
Measure and mark 0.5x0.5 inch square on each corner. Drill a hole on the innermost edge of the square, making 4 holes equidistant from each corner. For this step clip two wooden boards together so they are aligned even if your measurements go a bit off. 
Step 3: Cardboard Cutouts
Cut  8x8 inch squares on cardboard. You need 2-4 cardboard pieces pee press. These act as fillers and support for the flower press. Cut off the edges to allow for the bolt to run through. Repeat the same with 5-6 papers. 
Step 4: Personalize
I used a wood burning pen to trace out the names and some simple floral design. But this step is not mandatory and could be easily replaced with a sticker or painting. 

Step 5: Assemble 
Layer the papers and sandwich on wither side with cardboard. Align the holes and tighten the screws. The press is ready for pressing! 



Instructions for pressing flowers and leaves: 
It's simple, just place the flowers/leaves in a non-overlapping manner. Layer with paper and repeat again. Once the layers of paper and wood are sandwiched, tighten the screws and let it be for 1 week at least (tighten in between if needed). 

Note
This is cost-effective only if you do 4 at a time. If you just want one, get it from Amazon.






Comments

Popular Posts