Recipe #22: Kaya Jam (Coconut Jam)

This is one of my favorite Singaporean breakfasts. It used to cost me $2 in the Med School Kopitiam (food court) during my graduate schooling days. I have been craving for this simple breakfast for a while now.

INGREDIENTS:
- coconut milk -1can
- palm sugar - 1/2 cup
- granulated sugar -2 tbsp
- pandan leaves (fresh, I had to use extract - 2 drops) 
- 2 egg yolks


METHOD
- In low heat, scoop in only the creamy part of the coconut milk. 
- Add the sugar and pandan extract, and keep stiring to mix well. KEEP the heat low throughout the process. 
- Turn off the heat, once the coconut milk mixture has turned luke warm, add the mixture (4spoonfulls) spoon by spoon to the egg yolks. (We are trying to cook the eggs slowly without scrambling them). 
- Now combine them all and again simmer in law heat with continuous stiring. In 6-8 mins, the jam with thicken. Let it cool down before transferring to a glass jar. 
- Serve with warm toasted bread, cold butter, soft boiled eggs and coffee. 


STORAGE: 

 I assume it can be stored for a week in the fridge, but we ate it all in 2 days, so cannot comment. 


Comments

Popular Posts