Project #31: Dotangles

Kolams are traditional designs made on entrance of houses in Southern India. There are many kinds, but the most popular kind is called pulli kolam which involves dots and tangled lines around them making geometric patterns (and that is why I named the book- Dotangles). Some of these designs are quite intricate and in many ways like a puzzle/mind game. I find it very relaxing and therapeutic to draw them so I compiled a few kolams into a book.

I mainly used them as thank you gift for my house guests but during this pandemic I thought it would a fun thing to share with everyone. 

It is a great activity for kids as well. If they are young (mine is 4), you could make dotted lines for them to draw over. It is a perfect exercise to help them develop fine motor skills. My daughter had a great time working on some of the simpler patterns so I am thinking of making a version just for kids, so let me know your thoughts in the comments section.

INSTRUCTIONS
- The directions are simple, just follow the pattern in the corner of the page. 
- Start with the easy ones and progress to the more difficult ones. 
- Use a pencil if you are not very confident and then trace over with pen. 
- Improvise! Make your own designs or even color in.

Here are a few samples of varying degrees of ease for you to try. 

You can find the entire book (for download and self-printing) at my Etsy Store

Click here for FREE template with 1 design and instructions. 



Comments

Popular Posts