Project #11: Giant Ruler

I wanted to make something handmade for my daughter as her first birthday present. I searched long and hard and this Giant Ruler was the winner. It is personal, purposeful and perfect for the occasion.


Estimated time : under 1 hour
Estimated cost : < $25

Materials (and cost breakdown): 

The wooden Panel - Home Depot - $7.28
1 in. x 6 in. x 6 ft. Premium Kiln-Dried Square Edge Whitewood Common Board

The numbers decal - Amazon - $13.79
Little Acorns DIY Vinyl Growth Chart Ruler Decal Kit
Protective coat - Optional 
Rustoleum Transparent Spray Paint

Hardware - Amazon - $3.98 (for the entire kit - you can reuse for multiple projects)
OOK 59242 32 Piece Assorted Frame Back Kit

Protocol: 

Step 1: Apply ruler decals 
Clean the surface with damp paper towel and allow to dry completely. Follow the instructions of --- and apply the ruler decals. It takes 5 mins to transfer the decals to the wood. 

Step 2: Personalize and decorate
I etched my daughters name using Pyrography technique. For more details on wood burning check out my older posts - . Alternatively, you could stencil in your child's name using Permanent marker or paint.

I also added the flowers from my daughters room decor decal, so the ruler is in theme with the rest of the room. 

Step 2A: Glaze or coat the ruler (optional)
I did not do this since my ruler was going to be indoors and it was in good shape (no splinters, etc). It would be ideal to coat/ varnish the ruler.

Step 3: Add hardware, hang and measure
I added two round hooks to the top back of the ruler before hanging it up. Now I plan to mark her height on it on her birthday every year :)

Happy Birthday Ananya!

Comments

Popular Posts